CAT 2021 exam will be conducted by Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs). Common Aptitude Test is computer-based admission test which is conducted to offer admissions in PG & Fellow management programmes offered by various IIMs from across India. Various B Schools and other management institutions in India accept the CAT score to offer admission in MBA, PGDM & other PG management courses.
Common Admission Test is one of the most sought exams for management courses. This exam is organized only once in a year. Interested candidates can check all the details related to CAT 2021 exam such as notification, dates, application form, pattern, syllabus etc. from this article.
CAT 2021 Exam Date
Interested candidates can check the tentative schedule of CAT 2021 entrance exam from the following table:
|Issue of notification||Last week of July 2020|
|Registration begins||First week of August 2020|
|Last date for registration||Fourth week of September 2020|
|Image correction window||Last week of September 2020|
|Mock test available||Third week of October 2020|
|Admit card release||Fourth week of October 2020|
|Exam date||Fourth week of November 2020|
|Answer key release||First week of December 2020|
|Declaration of result||First week of January 2021|
CAT 2021 Application Form
Candidates are advised to check the following information related to the CAT Application Form 2021:
- CAT 2021 application form can be filled in online mode only via the official website.
- Registration window is supposed to be open tentatively from the first week of August 2020.
- Candidates must have a working and valid mobile number and Email ID for CAT 2021 registration.
- Candidates first have to register to generate their unique User ID and password.
- Also, Candidates can login with the generated ID details to fill the application form.
- After filling details asked in the application form and successful fee payment, candidates can submit the application form to complete the registration process.
- Applicants cannot make any changes once the application is submitted.
- Candidates must have scanned images of passport size photograph and signature while registration.
CAT Registration Fee:
After filling details in the application form, candidates have to pay the registration fee which is Rs.950 for SC, ST and PwD candidates and Rs.1900 for all other candidates.
Mode of Payment: The fee payment can be done through online mode via debit/credit card, net banking or UPI.
- Registration fee is non-transferable and non-refundable.
- Processing fee can also be charged.
How to Apply for CAT 2021?
Candidates have to follow the steps given below to fill the CAT 2021 application form:
- Visit the CAT official website.
- Candidates have to click on ‘Register’ tab and then fill their Name, Date of Birth, Email Id, Mobile Number, etc. Click on the Generate OTP tab.
- Candidates will receive the OTP and then check the terms and conditions to proceed further to complete the registration process.
- Login again with the User id and Password to fill the personal details, academics details, work experience, program and test city etc.
- After filling all the details in the form, candidates have to upload photograph and signature in the prescribed format (JPG/JPEG) and size (max 80 kb).
- Candidates from OBC/SC/ST/PWD category have to upload the category certificates for filling the required information. Candidates have to upload a self-attest certificate in PDF format.
- Now, click on ‘Save & Continue’ to move on to the next page to complete the application form.
- Submit the duly filled application form. Candidates will get confirmation email after submission of application form.
- Candidates are advised to print the application form for further use.
Documents Required for filling CAT application form
Candidates may need the following documents:
- Bachelor’s degree details
- Valid Email id & Phone number
- Caste Certificate (if applicable)
- Fee payment details
- Scribe affidavit
- Identification Affidavit,
- Scanned Photograph
- Scanned Signature etc.
CAT 2021 Eligibility Criteria
Candidates are advised to check the eligibility criteria before applying for the CAT exam. Given below is the CAT exam eligibility criteria:
- Qualifying Exam: Candidate must have the bachelor’s degree or equivalent with minimum 50% (reserved categories candidates must have 45%).
- Appearing Candidates: Final year graduate candidates of bachelor degree can also apply for CAT exam
- Candidates with professional degrees like CA/CS/ICWA are also eligible to apply.
- Age Limit: Authority has not set any age limit or attempt limit to apply for CAT.
CAT 2021 Exam Pattern
Candidate must check the following exam pattern of CAT 2021 exam:
- Exam Mode: Online mode i.e. computer-based test.
- Type of Questions: Both objective and subjective questions will be asked.
- Duration: 180 minutes i.e. 03 hours.
- Test Centres: The exam will be conducted in approx. 156 cities. Candidates can check the name of the test centre from the admit card.
- Marking Scheme: Three marks for each correct answer.
- Negative Marking: One mark will be deducted for each wrong answer in the objective type section. There is No negative marking in the subjective section.
Candidates can check the section-wise important details from the following table:
|Section||No. of MCQs||No. of Non MCQs||Duration||Total Marks|
|Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension (Section I)||24||10||1 hour||102|
|Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning (Section II)||24||8||1 hour||96|
|Quantitative Ability (Section III)||27||7||1 hour||102|
CAT Syllabus 2021
The syllabus of CAT 2021 has been divided into following three sections- Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning, Verbal Ability & Reading Comprehension & Quantitative Ability. Candidates can check the detailed syllabus for these sections from the following section:
Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning: Venn Diagrams, Combination of two or more types linked to each other, Seating Arrangement, Syllogism, Blood Relations, Bar Graphs and Column Graphs, Calendars, Cubes and Clocks, Line Charts & Pie Chart, Number and Letter Series, Connectives & Sequence, Binary Logic, Logical Matching etc.
Verbal Ability & Reading Comprehension: Synonyms Antonyms (Vocabulary Based), Analogies and Reverse Analogies, Reading Comprehension, Jumbled Paragraph and Close Passage, Facts Inferences Judgements, Grammar or English Usage, Correction in Sentence, Verbal Reasoning, fill in the blanks, Meaning/Usage Match, Summary Questions etc.
Quantitative Ability: LCM & HCF, Number Systems, Speed, Time & Distance, Time & Work, Ratio & Proportion, Mensuration, Sequences & Series, Surds & Indices, Inequalities, Set Theory, Functions & Geometry, Mixtures & Allegations, Trigonometry, Profit, Loss & Discount, Averages, Coordinate Geometry, Percentages, Simple & Compound Interest, Complex Numbers, Logarithm, Binomial Theorem, Quadratic & Linear Equations, Probability, Permutation and Combination etc.
Note: Candidates can also check the CAT 2021 Syllabus PDF for complete details.
How to Prepare for CAT 2021?
Candidates must opt the following preparation tips while preparing for the CAT exam in order to score well:
- Candidates must have all the details related to exam pattern and syllabus.
- Must refer to good study materials like books, sample papers etc for preparations.
- Solve the previous year question papers to know the pattern and weightage of questions.
- Attempt online mock tests of CAT.
- Take proper diet and sleep as it will boost your concentration.
- Revise all the topics accordingly.
CAT 2021 Admit Card
Candidates will be able to download the CAT admit card from the fourth week of October 2020. For downloading the CAT admit card 2021, candidates have to login using their user ID and password.
Candidates are advised to check all the details mentioned on the admit card such as their name, photograph, signature & other details. If there is any mistake found in the admit card, then candidates must contact to the CAT officials to get it rectified.
Candidates have to carry one ID proof along with CAT admit card at the exam centre allotted to them. Candidates are advised to keep the admit card safe till the admission process is completed.
How to Download CAT Admit Card?
Candidates have to follow the steps given below to download the CAT 2021 admit card:
- Visit the CAT official website.
- Candidate have to login using credentials such as User Id and Password to get the admit card.
- Click on the ‘login’ button and click on the tab displaying “CAT Admit card”.
- The admit card will appear on the computer screen.
- Candidates are advised to download and print the admit card.
CAT 2021 Answer Key
CAT 2021 answer key will be released by the exam conducting authority within a week after the examination through online mode.
Candidates have to login using their CAT ID and password at the official website to check their answer key. The authority will also provide the facility by which candidates can challenge the answer key.
For challenging the answer key, candidates have to pay Rs.1200 per question. After accepting the challenges, authority will release the final CAT answer key.
How to Challenge CAT 2021 Answer key?
Candidates have to follow the steps given below to challenge the CAT answer key:
- Click on the answer key link from the CAT official website.
- Enter login details such as User ID and Password and submit it.
- Click on the tab displaying “Objection Form”.
- Click on the “+” sign to raise an objection.
- After entering all the asked details, click on the “Submit and Pay the Objection Fee” button.
- Candidates have to pay Rs. 1200/- objection fee for each question.
- Candidates are advised to print the submitted objection for further use.
CAT 2021 Result
Authority will release the CAT 2021 result in the month of January 2021. Candidates can check their CAT Score card through the website.
The score card of the exam will be valid till the last week of December 2021. There is no other mode available to check the result.
CAT result 2021 contains the detailed sectional and overall scaled scores and percentiles. Candidates are advised to print the score card for further admission procedure.
CAT 2021 Percentile Calculation
CAT result will be declared in the form of percentile. The CAT 2021 Percentile is calculated on the basis of CAT marking scheme.
Authorities adjust the total score through a process called “equating”. Then, the score is normalized by considering the marks of different sections. And that normalized score secured by the candidates will be further converted into percentiles for the purposes of shortlisting for admission in CAT score accepting institutes.
CAT Cut Off 2021
The cut-off is the minimum marks of percentile that a candidate must have secured in order to get shortlisted by the participating institutions. Each participating institute will release category wise CAT 2021 cut-off by considering various factors. The following factors affects the CAT cut off- Number of candidates appearing, Difficulty level of exam, Previous year cut off trends. Candidates can check the last year cut-off of some prestigious colleges from the table given below:
CAT Admission Procedure
There is no centralized counselling or admission procedure for the admission in IIMs. Each IIM conducts their own admission process for providing admissions.
CAT 2021 admission process begins after the declaration of result. Overall admissions of candidates depend on various factors such as- CAT scores, written ability test, group discussion and personal interview conducted by CAT score accepting institutes.
Each IIMs will release their separate cut-off for providing admissions. Candidates will receive call letters on their Email ID provided at the time of registration. Candidates have to report to the allotted IIMs as per the allotted schedule.